Welcome! I’m Kymberly Fergusson, a writer, translator and language coach, based in Villingen-Schwenningen, Germany.
I believe you are never to old to learn, and nothing is too hard to learn. You just need the right tools and motivation.
By knowing how you learn best, completing useful and fun activities, and integrating language studies into your life, you’ll maintain motivation and remember what you learn, no matter how old you are.
While my background is in IT, education, and languages, I am most passionate about learning and helping others learn effectively. Plus I love to write!
I usually post once a month, or as life allows. I’ll help you understand your learning style, and give you activities to use in classes or to teach yourself English, and writing prompts. You’ll get tips about learning languages, conversation prompts, quizzes and puzzles, and lots of encouragement and motivation..
How can I help you?
- Writing and writing coaching: course content, articles, books, especially IT, technical and medical documents.
- Translation from German to English: especially technical, IT and medical texts.
- Language coaching (English): groups and individuals, courses and conversations. Online, or in person (Villingen-Schwenningen).
Please contact me to discuss your requirements!
- Technical writer and copywriter for a number of European IT companies.
- Translator from German to English in the IT, medical and blogging industries.
- English teacher and language coach to children and adults, specializing in medical and technical language, Japan and Germany.
- Senior technical writer, editor and project manager, specializing in terminology consistency for translation, Moldflow (Autodesk).
- Lecturer and examiner in programming, software engineering and technical writing, at Monash and Melbourne Universities, Australia.
- IT Course writer and trainer, State Library of Victoria, Australia.
Current and past clients
- Professional Graduate Diploma in TESOL (30521QLD), Australasian Training Academy.
- Bachelor of Computer Science, Monash University, Australia.
- Zertifikat Deutsch (B1), JLPT4 (A2)
Who is Kymberly Fergusson?
I’ve always loved words, devouring books and writing tomes when I was younger. My first languages other than English were all programming.
I found it much more fun to teach these languages than to actually program, and side-stepped from my Computer Science degree into lecturing, and then into technical writing and English teaching.
It wasn’t until my tweens when the real language bug bit me, beginning with one of the ‘hardest’ – Japanese. After teaching myself Japanese for a few years, I lived in Japan and taught English.
And before you ask, I was in Fukushima during the 2011 earthquake and fallout. Interesting times!
Once in Germany to be with my partner, my learning focus shifted to German, made more urgent by a few medical conditions requiring many doctors’ appointments. Unfortunately, this is an ongoing problem, but each new field stretches my German further.
These days I write various documentation and content, and translate from German to English, specializing in medical and technical texts.
When I first traveled overseas, I didn’t speak the languages at all. I didn’t enjoy those holidays so much, especially when problems occurred (stolen passports, minor earthquake).
I’ve found the world to be more open and accessible when you can speak more than one language. There are more job opportunities, you develop deeper friendships, and travel much more easily with fewer problems.
Next on the menu is Korean, Chinese, Welsh and Norwegian, after polishing my German and brushing up on my Japanese. Of course, that’s around my other hobbies – photography, gardening and improving my health!
When I’m not playing with words, I enjoy many hobbies: photography, crafts, cooking, hiking, watching anime, gardening and gaming, a multipotentialite!
Occasionally I will endorse products, books or services which I personally use and love, for which I may receive commission (full disclaimer).
If you enjoy the content, find it helpful and would like to support me and this site, please consider visiting and purchasing something from my Amazon.de or Amazon.com wishlists – and please include a note so I know who it’s from and can say thank you!