If you are anything like me, you will have moved house many times. In fact, I’m moving house right now – it’s my 20th move!
I’m the expert in the family when it comes to moving. I can pack and unpack everything quickly and safely, and can easily pull apart and put together flat-packed furniture. But I’m not so good at the carrying, especially when stairs are involved!
Most people have moved house at least once, and things almost never go completely smoothly. Therefore it’s a great conversation topic for ESL and EFL classes of all levels and ages.
Talking about moving houses
In the past
- Why did you move?
- How many times have you moved?
- Where did you get your moving supplies from? (boxes, tape, bubble wrap, etc.)
- Were you well prepared, or did you leave things to the last-minute?
- How long did it take you to pack or unpack?
- Did you use a moving company, or did you move everything yourself?
- Did you declutter before you moved?
- How many trips did you need to move everything?
- Did you paint your new or old place? What colour and why?
- What was the most difficult thing about your last move?
- Was anything broken? If so, what happened?
- Did you have help from family or friends?
- Did you need to move or build a new kitchen?
- If you bought any new appliances or furniture, what influenced your decisions?
- How did you plan your new space – where to put your furniture, which rooms to use for which purpose, and so on?
- What was the heaviest thing that you moved?
- Did anyone hurt themselves? How?
- Do you like moving house? Why / why not?
- What aspect do you most like or dislike about moving?
- How often do you move?
- Would you ever consider moving overseas?
- When do you think you will move (next time)?
- Would you move or commute if you got a job in another city.
- If you could move back to any place you have lived in, which one would you choose?
- If you could move anywhere in the world, where would you love to live?
- What tips can you give to someone who is moving house?
- What could go wrong on moving day?
- How many weeks or months before ending a rental contract must you give notice?
- Do you have to fill in a condition report when you get your new rental property?
- What should a person do on the day they receive the keys to their new place?
- What do you have to do before handing back the keys to your old place?