Make use of these resources for writers to improve your work, get published, enter competitions and join the worldwide writing community.
You don’t have to be a professional to enjoy writing or to publish your work. Anyone can enter writing competitions and have their work critiqued.
- Writing prompts – oriented towards school students, but good for all ages.
- Writer’s Digest’s creative writing prompts.
- Daily writing prompts from The Daily Post.
International writing events
- April: NaPoWriMo – National Poetry Writing Month. 30 poems, one each day.
- November: NaNoWriMo – National Novel Writing Month. A novel in a month.
- JustaContest.com – list of local and international writing contests.
- WinningWriters.com – list of poetry contests (requires a free newsletter subscription for a partial list, or premium membership for the full list).
- Writers Reign – writing contests of all types: poetry, books, performance arts, non-fiction and short stories.
- Book Trust – list of short story competitions.
Great writing software, apps and websites
- 750words.com – encourages you with accolades to write 750 words daily.
- Evernote – a great note collation tool, used in combination with Scrivener for longer writing tasks.
- Scrivener – the best and most flexible editor for books and long research papers. I use it for everything!
- PlainText – a text editor on the iPad / iPhone, syncing via Dropbox with Scrivener.